Friday 28 August 2015

Episode 13 - Pat O'Reilly

Sunday then Monday September 14



The search for Llewellyn was left to providence.
Sunday was devoted to walking on the beach in glorious sunshine, revisiting the secret cove, and in the early evening to Cleo trying her hand at bingo, instructed by Gary.
“Does a large percentage of the British think this is entertainment?” Cleo remarked.
“It’s like bullfights to the Spanish,” said Gary. “National sport.”
That morning, Gary had already cancelled his room at the Grand Hotel and re-registered himself as Cleo’s partner. It no longer mattered if Robert tried to find out where Cleo was. She had at last made it crystal clear to Gary that she was no longer considering upholding a failed marriage. Robert would have to admit that it was time to move on.
***
But the incident at the brothel had shocked Cleo. She had not realized just how dangerous the situation could become. Gary had been obliged to let her find out by experience, though even he was shocked by the speed at which things had moved. His self-esteem was not helped by the escape of that sergeant.
“I think we’ll have to ask Dorothy what she thinks about our exploits beforehand in future,” said Gary, wrily. “I’m so sorry I put you into such a dangerous situation.”
“The worst that could have happened was that I would be forced to go upstairs with that revolting little sergeant, Gary. I’m not even sure if it wouldn’t have been a better idea. I would have rendered him impotent with one well-chosen blow.”
“The thought of you jumping into bed withat little creep was enough to make my ilife-saving intervention justified.”
“Come on, Sweetheart. I would have let him undress, pretended to get ready for the inevitable, then treated his groin to a knee-jerk. He would never have touched me. I’d have seen to that.”
“Don’t ever do that to me, will you? You’re putting the fear of God into me,” said Gary.
“I’m unlikely to mutilate the father of my children.”
“That’s a relief.”
***
After a bite to eat disguised as Sunday’s menu of the day, the lovers sought the refuge of their hotel room and sank thankfully into one another’s arms.
“You’re quite a bargain, I’d say,” said Gary.
“A what?”
“Fifty quid for a whole night.”
“I agree. Cheap at the price,” said Cleo. “But what about the cash? Will you get it back?”
“Prepared,” said Gary. “A fake fifty quid rolled round paper.“
“And that guy, Jake, fell for the ruse,” said Cleo.
“So how much will a whole life cost me?” said Gary.
“With or without freebies?”
“What kind of freebies?”
“Lights on or lights off. That kind of freebie.”
“And socks? Where are they, anyway?”
“Under the bed with the pralines,” said Cleo.
“So the cleaner has them now,” said Gary.
“I’m more sorry about the pralines,” said Cleo.
“Promise you won’t steal my duvet?”
“Not if you don’t steal mine.”
“I’m glad this one is wide enough for two.”
“We don’t need a duvet right now, Gary. I’m not planning to sleep.”
“Neither am I.”
***
Gary, who had never cared what Robert thought or wanted, did not want that night to end, and neither did Cleo, who no longer cared what Robert thought or wanted, either. At some point in the early hours they had finally fallen asleep entwined in one another arms. A Church bell woke them chiming a wonky tune announcing that it was going  to be a strange sort of Monday, though how unpredictable a day can be was not yet clear to Cleo and Gary, whose first thought was of their own mutual desire for one another and first action was a confirmation of what they like to call their ‘oneness’.
***
But the night had to end. Gary knew he had to deal with Jake as soon as possible. Had he been one of Ivy’s lovers? Had she been naïve enough to give him responsibility for some of the business? Had he killed her to get at the rest?
Gary was sure that Jake was Ivy’s killer. Who else would have a motive to beat his? Cleo was not so sure. Ivy had not appeared weak and easy to fool, but she was a woman past her prime, and such women are very often flattered by the attentions of younger men, and pay a high price for a taste of being young again.
***
Breakfast was almost a repeat of the previous day, and relieved by the amusing patter Cleo and Gary exchanged.
“I’m younger than you, Cleo,” Gary said. “I hope you aren’t one of those women.”
“I’d hate to think that our love was based on my looking for a younger man. In that case I’ll have to look further, since you are only slightly younger than me!”
“I’d hate to be in love with you because you are older and wiser, Cleo.”
“I’m relieved to hear that, Gary.”
“So you will marry me, despite my youth?”
“Will you marry me despite my age?”
“I think we’ll reach an agreement,” said Gary, “ but let’s get Ivy’s security guy sorted out first.”
“We should talk to Brass before we do anything else,” said Cleo.
“Right as usual, GeeGee.”
“Yes, Mister Cop.”
“Don’t you mean Sweetheart?
“Do I?”
***-
At Frint-on-Sea  police station, Gary described the incident at the brothel to Brass. Not surprisingly, Brass was astonished at Sergeant Llewellyn’s  reaction. Surely running away was a sign of guilt? Brass did not know what his superior was up to, but staying away from work straight after a murder and running away from a brothel made him appear guilty even if he wasn’t. On the other hand, when had Sergeant Llewellyn ever done anything that was not to his advantage? Brass did not believe that the sergeant was capable of murder, however. He thought he ran for it so as not to be found in the brothel.
***
Xxxxx   get them back home!!!!!
Jake would probably be charged with involvement in Ivy’s killing. At his questioning, he declined to say anything, thus making Gary’s initial questioning a non-event. Once the coroner had issued the inevitable verdict on Ivy’s death, Jake would appear before a magistrate and be sent to jail to await trial. There was no denying that he had a strong motive.
***
Although Brass had to admit that Ivy had been more friend than fiend to Sergeant Llewellyn, he did not know what had been going on and did not even want to. Brass did not think that the sergeant could have murdered Ivy Frobisher because he was squeamish and cowardly. Running away was more his style, as his flight from the brothel confirmed.
***
A senior police inspector of the region, an overworked officer going by the title of Detective Inspector Patrick O’Reilly, had been called in from the local HQ and was willing to cooperate with Gary. The activities of Jake, Dr Smith and Llewellyn would have to be investigated thoroughly and without delay. O’Reilly was enthusiastic, and relieved that Gary was the decision-maker, as befitted his higher rank. Gary insisted that hedid not want to investigate the murder of the young woman at that B & B establishment, unless expressly invited to join in. He would have to get back to his job at Middlethumpton HQ as soon as possible and work from there over the internet or by phone on the cases in which he was already involved.
“That’s OK by me. My team needs the challenge of a lover-boy killing,” O’Reilly said. “They are usually busy solving slot-machine robberies and emptying pubs of belligerent drunks. They’ll be quite happy to lay the lover-boy ghost. After all, some are fathers of teenage girls.”
“Do you suspect anyone, O’Reilly?”
“We’ve been keeping tracks on one or two of those guys,” he said. “But they are wily. They don’t leave evidence and the girls won’t say anything because they are under the impression that they are enjoying their first love affair. Prostituting themselves to help the finances of these unemployed and certainly work-shy lover-boys is just part of it. They do not know that the louts are supported by several girls, each one thinking she is the only one.”
“I hear that the Bed and Breakfast establishment lets rooms on an hourly basis,” Gary said.
“We haven’t been able to prove that conclusively because no one says anything.”
“Couldn’t you smuggle in a policewoman as a cleaner or cook?”
“No luck there. It’s a family business and they are as thick as thieves,” said O’Reilly.
“I suppose hauling in the known lover-boys will be the first move then,” said Gary.
“At least one has blood on his hands, Gary, I’m sure of that. But they keep a low profile, cover and lie for one another, and know that we need concrete evidence before we can pluck them off the streets. Those chits of girls they send out soliciting are loyal and think they are fostering their affairs of the heart.”
“I have a daughter who’s nearly a teenager,” said Gary.
“I lost my daughter to a lover-boy or some other disreputable lout, Gary,” said O’Reilly. “The bastard killed her and left her body on the beach to be swept away by the tide. But coastal patrol got there first. That was two years ago. They never caught the killer, so I’m especially interested in laying the handwork of those pimps and bastards.”
Gary went over to O’Reilly and put his arms round him. He could feel the deep sobs his colleague was trying to master.
“Let go, O’Reilly. I know some things go too deep for tears, but if you can shed them, you will feel better. Have a talk with my wife. She is wonderful at comforting people in distress. I know that. I have good reason to.”
O’Reilly blew his nose and apologised for being emotional.
“I don’t usually break down,” he said.
“I’m glad you did,” said Gary. “But you are not to blame, O’Reilly. We cops spend our lives protecting people from the monsters of society, but we can’t protect them all. Your daughter fell victim to evil. The only way to redress your grief is to carry on doing a good job.”
“You’re right, of course,” said O’Reilly. “For the sake of my little girl I’ll carry on.”
After a while, Gary said gently “What can we do about Brass? He’s out on a limb at that police station and his worried that his children will get into the wrong company.”
“I’ll send in reinforcements,” O’Reilly promised. “I didn’t realize how bad the situation still is. You don’t suspect Brass of anything, do you, Mr Hurley?”
“No, but he won’t be able to continue in that little offshoot of your station on his own much longer and I don’t know how much influence Sergeant Llewellyn had on him.”
“How do you suggest we deal with the situation?”
“Send him to me, O’Reilly. He’s out of harm’s way in Middlethumpton.”
“That’s not a bad idea.”
“I have to drive back later today. We can discuss that move and the various cases over the phone,” said Gary.
“Your lady friend…” O’Reilly started.
“Cleo is my wife,” said Gary. “and a first class psychologist. I hope you did not draw the wrong conclusions, O’Reilly.”
“No, of course not,” replied O’Reilly, embarrassed. “I’m glad you have such a beautiful wife.”
“So am I,” said Gary.
“Have a good journey home, then. See you soon.”
“Will you talk to Cleo next time we are here, or visit us at Middlethumton HQ.”
“Yes, I will. Thanks.”
“And drop the formality. I’m Gary to my friends.”
“I’m Pat, Gary. Thanks for your understanding.”
“Thanks for your support, Pat.”
***
Gary wondered about O’Reilly. He was an emotional wreck, he thought. Burnout or simply delayed shock or trauma? Would treatment in a clinic be the best solution? Gary had not even asked him about his wife. He had a lot to learn about dealing with people, but he would learn. He wanted to. He had a good teacher. He seriously wanted to be worth something and be able to do more than play the game of cops and robbers.


No comments:

Post a Comment