Sunday 4 October 2015

Episode 25 - The BBQ


Saturday cont.

“I hope we’re in time for the feast,” said Dorothy, as Cleo drove out of Frint-on-Sea.
“We should be,“ said Gary. “Robert and I need a heart to heart and where better than on neutral ground?”
"I’m so looking forward to seeing my little girls again,” said Cleo.
"Me too," said Gary.
“You really have taken Charlie into your heart, haven’t you?, Cleo” said Dorothy.
“She’s right in there with her daddy and PeggySue,” said Cleo.
Gary was perched uncomfortably on the rear seat so that Dorothy could enjoy the view. They had only spent five minutes saying goodbye to Vera, since they were already quite late leaving Frint-on-sea and Gary had insisted on Cleo driving Gary’s red cabrio that she declared was only suitable for kids. Gary put his hand on her shoulder ‘for stability’, he declared and left it there until they took a break, only removing it to draw his fingers through her hair.
“You should be in a Bollywood Movie,” he said.
“Bollywood is Indian. You’ll have to audition yourself,”
“I’ll settle for my life as it is,” he replied.
“Where’s Bollywood?” asked Dorothy.
“It’s the Indian version of Hollywood, Dorothy,” said Gary.
“We’ll both audition. We half-casts have to stick together,” said Cleo.
“I suppose I’m a half cast, too,” said Dorothy. “Half Welsh and half English, though my tribal origins have been wiped out.”
“You said it, Dorothy,” said Gary. “Though I’m not so sure they have been wiped out after meeting Sergeant Loo and the obnoxious Dr Smith.”
“That’s what people look like who don’t take any exercise,” said Cleo.
“If you mean me, I get enough exercise, my love,” said Gary.”Do you want me tell Dorothy where?”
“Don’t bother,” said Dorothy. “I can guess.”
***
Cleo had received a confirmation from Edith that the Saturday BBQ was happening there would be plenty of steaks. They were back in Upper Grumpsfield in good time and Dorothy went to her cottage to rest. Gary and Cleo would take short siesta before they walked to the vicarage, glad to relax for a while after a gruelling morning and a long drive.
As usual, they found it hard to get dressed and go somewhere when they were tired and would have been just as happy staying at home, especially as they really had no idea how much of a debacle lay ahead.
“This is an evening that was bound to happensometime and we have to get through it,” argued Gary. “I’m just looking forward to seeing the girls. That will compensate for a dose of Edith and Robert.”
“I agree,” said Cleo.
They strolled to the vicarage almost as if they would prefer to walk backwards.
I miss the ocean,” Gary said.
“And the menu of the day?”
I’ll settle for Robert’s steaks,” said Gary.
***
“Wouldn’t a game of football with the Parsnip boys be a nice tradition on a Saturday?” said Gary as they approached their target.
“They’d like that, Gary. Frederick Parsnip has never played football in his life. He thinks playing is only for kids – except for his infernal pencil-sharpening - and the kids should not get grubby if they insist on football. I don’t know how Edith has stood him for so long.”
“Let’s hope that part of her life is over soon then,” said Gary, thinking the same about Cleo sticking with Robert. “I can imagine Robert taking on those five boys even if he doesn’t want any more kids of his own.”
“One more reason for getting him together with Edith,” remarked Cleo. “Then you could both play football with the boys.”
The older boys were playing football on the grass in front of the vicarage.
“Can I join them for a bit?” said Gary. “It’s not often I get the chance.”
“Go ahead,” said Cleo.
“You’re not going to watch, I hope,” said Gary. “I’m not Pele, you know.”
“And those kids will run you off your feet, Gary. You need to get to the gym more regularly.”
“I get enough exercise at home,” argued Gary.
“Not that kind.”
***
Gary joined in the kicking. Cleo made her way round the back of the old vicarage to Edith’s kitchen, where she was able to help with the salads.
“Robert said he’ll bring the meat ready marinated,” said Edith, and Cleo felt a bit strange. Wasn’t that something he had said to her a hundred times?
“He won’t be here till six because he has a lot of orders to deliver,” Edith said. “Robert said that it could be the last barbecue weekend this year, so he was inundated with last minute requests of steaks and the like.”
“Did you invite Gloria, Edith?”
“Of course, but she’s too busy getting her new flat sorted out so that she can move out and let RRobert have his back.”
“I’m surprised she isn’t curious,” said Cleo.
“Why should she be? Oh yes, of course, about you and Gary. But she has accepted that, hasn’t she?”
“Sure. I have a guilty conscious that I haven’t even asked if I can help her with her move,” said Cleo.
“You haven’t been here, Cleo,” said Edith with a hint of reproach in her voice. “She measured for new curtains - drapes I think she called them - and I sewed them for her. Robert will help her move tomorrow.”
“That great. Thanks, Edith.”
“Tell me how things are going with Gary, Cleo.”
“This way,” said Cleo, showing Edith the garnet ring. “It belonged to his mother.“
“Strange that he didn’t give it to his first wife,” said Edith.
“His mother was alive in those days,” said Cleo, ignoring the innuendo and keeping to her maxim of not mentioning Robert again in any context.
Edith had the grace to be ashamed that she had made that comment about Gary’s first wife.
“I hope there are no embarrassing scenes with Robert,” she said.
So that was worrying her?
“No risk of that, Edith. Gary and I belong together, and Robert knows that.”
“No risk that you will drop Gary and go back to Robert, then?” asked Edith, and Cleo wondered if that was worrying her more than the idea that there would be an open row between Gary and Robert, or her and Robert, or all three.
“No risk,” said Cleo. “I’m expecting Gary’s baby and it’s definitely his.”
“Isn’t PeggySue his?” Edith wanted to know.
“ Robert and I had no sexual contact for ages before he left and I was meeting Gary before my marriage. Does that put your mind at rest, Edith?”
“I suppose it does, Cleo,” said Edith and wondered if Cleo had any inkling of the growing affection she felt for Robert.
***
Edith could not have said whether it was sympathy or love because she did not know. Cleo did not want to say that PeggySue was in all probability Gary’s child because Robert was the legal parent.
***
“I’ll take the salads out,” said Cleo. ”I saw that a long table was laid for a party.”
“We might as well enjoy the good weather while it lasts,” said Edith.
A knock on the front door heralded Dorothy’s arrival. She had slept too long, she said, and apologised for being late.
“Robert hasn’t been home at all,” she added.
“He’s still doing deliveries, I expect,” said Edith, and Dorothy looked suitably surprised that Edith could be so well informed.
Cleo came back into the kitchen.
“Robert phoned me to say he would be late, Dorothy,” said Edith.
“Of course. Silly of me. I should have known,” said Dorothy.
“Is Rita coming to the barbecue, Edith?” Cleo asked.
Rita might have been Edith’s rival if Julie had her way.
Dorothy answered for Edith.
“No. I don’t think she and Robert got on at all well judging by the sadness in his voice when he told me about her arrival. Not that he wanted her back, Cleo, but she was brutally honest about their non-relationship. Rita wants to get to Julie’s as soon as possible and then look for a place of her own to live and apply for jobs next week.”
“Is it all getting to be a bit much for you having her to stay as well as Robert, Dorothy?” Cleo asked, noticing that Edith was listening wide eyed to the dialogue.
“No, but it’s a lost cause with Rita,” said Dorothy. “Julie is in for a big disappointment. Robert is moving back into his flat in a day or so and Rita would have gone by now if Julie and Colin had not been invited somewhere for the weekend. But let’s change the subject. Gary is out playing football with the boys, I noticed.”
***
Cleo was glad to talk about something else, and Edith was glad Rita would not be there that evening, though she was careful not to say so.
“Gary would like a son,” said Cleo wistfully.
“Give him one!” said Dorothy, who could be quite precocious when she was in the mood.
“I think there’s one in here,” retorted Cleo, patting her stomach. Edith looked a bit embarrassed, but she commented with just as much spirit.
“It’s all the luck of the draw,” she said. “I love my boys, but having the little girls to stay is wonderful.”
***
“What’s wonderful?” said the vicar, wandering into the kitchen.
“Our five boys and the little girls,” said Edith.
“That’s your opinion,” he grunted before greeting Cleo and Dorothy with a brief nod. He had only come into the kitchen to find out how long it would be until he got his share of the barbecue.
“Robert isn’t here yet with the meat, so I suggest you eat an apple and get back to your sermon, Frederick,” said Edith in a cool voice Dorothy had never heard her use before. “You missed your practise in the church this morning because you hadn’t written anything.”
“I’ve got it right now. It’s about reunions,” he said, and Cleo wondered how naïve the vicar was, or was he just malevolent?
The vicar helped himself to an apple out of the fruit bowl, wiped it on his cardigan and bit into it as he swept back to his office.
“He had a refusal from the Red Cross this morning,” Edith explained in alow voice. “He wanted to go on one of their expeditions so that he could convert the heathen somewhere, but the Red Cross said he was too old.”
There was no mistaking the note of contempt in Edith’s voice.
“Oh dear,” said Dorothy.
“So he’s going off his own bat to Africa when he can find a curate to stand in for him,” said Edith. “I’m thinking of supporting that venture., too.”
“How?” said Dorothy.
“I’ll think of something,” said Edith, who already had but was not going to tell.
“Aren’t they going to close down St Peter’s if he goes, Edith?” Cleo wanted to know.
“Oh no, Cleo. It’s apparently a feather in a bishop's cap to have a missionary brave enough to go to non-Christian parts of Africa, so our Bishop is all for it and he is not going to turf me and the boys out.”
“That’s a relief,” said Dorothy.
***
At that moment Robert‘s van drew up in front of the vicarage. Gary broke off his football game to help carry the trays of marinated steaks and chops to the grill that Edith had set up. Fortunately, a previous incumbent had built a brick barbecue, so Edith only had to clean it and install the coals and grille. Frederick had told her that since the barbeque was her idea she should get it organised. She had replied in so many words that the vicar might not help.
“He thinks sharpening pencils is more his niveau than scurrying around helping,” said Dorothy scathingly. “No doubt he’ll tuck in greedily.”
Robert and Gary did not exchange more than a nod during the meat transport. Gary tried to kindle the coals, but as soon as Robert had finished sorting out the grillade on a table next to the grill, he excused himself saying that he had to wash the football grime off his shoes. To Edith’s surprise, he proceeded to do just that at her kitchen sink.
“Sorry about this,” said Gary. “I’ll bring studs next time.”
“Boys will be boys,” replied Edith, thinking of the additional wreckage to the vicarage lawn, but not protesting since the boys had been deprived of a father like Gary. Edith’s boys had left their muddy shoes outside and darted past the ladies up the stairs. They would reappear clean and smart for the barbecue feast.
Cleo followed the boys upstairs. She would see if the girls had finished their siesta. Charlie had heard her father’s voice so she was dressing herself in a pretty frock and presently raced down the stairs to the kitchen. Cleo got PeggySue ready and took her downstairs.
Gary lifted Charlie into his arms and whizzed her round and round in greeting before hugging PeggySue and dancing a jig with her.
“It’s going to be quite  a boisterous evening,” said Dorothy.
Cleo wondered if Robert had seen Gary greeting the girls with so much fervour.
“As long as it isn’t a shoot-out,” said Gary, putting PeggySue down and wiping his shoes, now drained, on a convenient tea-towel.
“I hope not,” said Edith as she demonstratively pushed the muddy tea-towel into the washing machine. “Let’s go out and see how Robert is getting on.”
Gary wondered if Cleo really could face Robert so soon after their separation and was not anxious to witness the scene. He was barefoot. His shoes had squelched when he put them on after holding them under the tap for too long. Edith had automatically added the socks to the tea-towel.
“I’ll get you a pair of Frederick’s if your feet are cold,” Edith offered.
“I never have cold feet these days,” said Gary looking meanfully at Cleo.
“Yes, it’s convenient having me to warm them on,” said Cleo mischievously.
“It’s because you are so hot-blooded, my love.”
“Touché,” retorted Cleo.
“I’ve always had to rely on a hot water bottle,” said Edith sadly.
***
“Well?” said Gary, sitting down with Cleo at the furthest end of the table from the barbeque grill.. “Have you had any kind of communication with Robert?”
“Not yet. He’s too busy doing the catering. I think the coals must have been a bit damp.”
“They were wet,” said Gary. “I noticed that when I handled them. Only the wood and grill starters really caught fire.”
***
Half an hour later, the first sausages were smoked enough to try them on the boys.
“I’d better talk to Robert now and get it over with,” Gary said, as he and Cleo were nipping at the excellent red wine Robert had chosen at the off-licence but not yet got round to drinking himself. “I’ll take him a glass of his wine. He said nothing when we were carrying the meat.”
“I don’t suppose you said anything either, did you Gary?” said Cleo.
“Words failed me,” said Gary.
“They won’t now if you don’t go on the defensive!”
Gary nodded and made his way to the back of the barbecue so that he could look Robert in the eye.
Robert put down the grill fork and looked sceptically at Gary, who handed him the wine.
"You have an excellent taste in wines, Robert."
“Never mine the wine. Come round here,” he said.
Gary wondered if he should be armed for the confrontation, but he needn’t have worried. Robert merely shrugged his shoulders and drew Gary into a bear hug with much patting on the back.
“I do understand,” said Robert. “I know Cleo and I know she doesn’t do anything thoughtless on purpose.”
That was actually a bit strong considering he had left her, but Gary did not comment on that. Instead he confessed that it was his fault.
“I should not have told her how much I love her,” he said.
“Do you think that would have made any difference?” said Robert. “Cleo has always loved you. I knew that when I married her.”
“Why didn’t you say something?” said Gary.
“Would that have made any difference in the end? Cleo was loyal to me and we had some good times together, but the day I asked her if she was in love with you and she replied that she wasn’t sure, I knew for sure that she was. I’d been in denial from the beginning. I saw you looking as if you had wanted to prevent our marriage happening. It took me a long time to decide, but in the end that’s why I moved out.”
“If only we’d had this talk earlier,” said Gary.
“Just look after her. She’s a fine person, but she’s been through a lot and she’s easily hurt.”
“Trust me, Robert.”
“I’d rather it was you than anyone else, Gary, so let’s shake hands and stay friends.”
***
Gary could hardly believe how magnanimously Robert had reacted to the situation. He went back to Cleo. She stood up and put her arms round him. He was stunned.
“That guy has humbled me,” he explained when he could speak. “We have his blessing and we are still friends.”
“Just be thankful for that, Gary. You don’t want the girls to think you are unhappy, do you? Just enjoy the grill and the sunset.”
“You are my constant sunshine. Cleo; you and the girls, of course.”
“I’m glad you didn’t say ‘sunset’ in that poetical declaration, Sweetheart.”
Gary shook himself out of the emotional state he was in.
“I’ll help Robert with the meat now,” he said. “Someone will have to serve all these hungry people.”
The hungry people now included the five Parsnip boys, Dorothy, Edith’s twin sister Clare, her husband Karl and their twins, a boy and a girl going through the Terrible-Twos stage, and Gloria, who was all set to eat one of the T-bone steaks she had marinated.
“What a wonderful party!” said Dorothy, who had observed with relief the peace-making between Cleo’s two men. The vicar had been tempted out of his studio briefly, had graciously accepted a big serving of grilled meat, salads, half a baguette and a Micky-Mouse tumbler of red wine and gone back in to eat it. No friendly gesture to his boys or anyone else.. Nothing. It was not hard to see why Edith would turn to a kind butcher for consolation.
***
“Raise your glass, Dorothy! This is the evening my two men made their peace,” said Cleo as Dorothy came to join them. “Now I know for sure that there is a golden future for Gary and me, and when I look at Edith looking at Robert and him returning her look with a smile, I know that your hunch was again spot on, Dorothy.”
***
By the time the children had all gone to bed, it was nearly time to go home. The Hurley girls were sleeping at the vicarage. Cleo and Gary would have lunch there next day and take PeggySue home. Charlie would come home when she had played for long enough, and that would be all day, since Anna was coming to visit with the vicar’s sister Beatrice.
“Wow,” said Cleo. “ I’m sure Frederick will not be pleased to have Beatrice there. They don’t get on at all.”
“I expect he’ll sit in his office and sharpen pencils, Cleo,” said Dorothy. “Isn’t that what he usually does after Sunday lunch so that he does not have to communicate with the children?”
“He sharpens pencils for all sorts of reasons, doesn’t he?” said Cleo.
“Then I hope they have them in the African outback,” said Gary.
“We’ll see what happens when he actually goes there,” said Cleo. “Edith says she’s a different person now she’s applied to adopt Anna, though I doubt if Beatrice will agree.”
“How do you mean, different,” Gary asked.
“He can’t wait to get away, mean little skunk that he is,” said Cleo.
“Don’t be nasty about skunks. They don’t know that they stink,” said Gary.  “You wanted to adopt Anna, didn’t you?”
“Sure. Robert was against it.”
“But he allowed you to bring PeggySue into the world.”
“Only when I told him that he could stay or leave since I was not going to get an abortion.”
“He has a dark side to his nature, Cleo,” said Dorothy.
Gary was relieved that Robert had not become offensive or aggressive. Cleo had been sure that Robert would react in a mature way for the sake of peace, so she was gratified. Nevertheless, after a further hour chatting outside, it was getting chilly and time to go home, despite Edith’s plea for them to come inside to a log fire. She had chopped the logs especially.
***
“Did you hear that,” said Gary, when he and Cleo had finally left the vicarage. “He lets her chop wood.”
“I’m glad she only uses the axe for that purpose,” said Cleo.
“I don’t think Edith is brutal,” said Gary. “She’s a stoic, poor woman.”
“A heroine, I would say.”
“Your ex fortunately showed little interest in us,” said Gary.
“I think Robert was disgusted when I refused to abort my baby, and it cost me a lot to rely on my loyalty knowing that you would never utter such a monstrous  request. What sort of a human being is he?”
“I don’t want to answer that,” said Gary. “ He still cares about you, judging from the noble way he admitted that we were better suited. Let’s walk home through Monkton woods.It’s cool, but I need a breath of fresh air and I’m sure you do.”
“Let’s get Robert out of our lives altogether,” said Cleo.
“I’ll adopt PeggySue as soon as possible," said Gary.
“And I’ll adopt Charlie,” said Cleo. “Robert told Dorothy that he’s filing for divorce. That means I won’t have to do anything but sign the papers and let a lawyer do the rest.”
“He’s in quite a hurry, isn’t he?” said Gary. “I wonder why.”
“Don’t speculate! I think he just wants everything to be over.”
***
An hour later they arrived refreshed at the cottage. Cleo went into the kitchen to make a nightcap and Gary kicked off his shoes, lit a log fire in the grate, and lounged on the sofa for a couple of minutes before helping Cleo by arranging his favourite biscuits on a plate.
“You are indispensable,” said Cleo.
“That’s nice to hear.”
“I’m thinking about those biscuits, Sweetheart.”
“We can’t both make the coffee.”
“Point taken.”
“I don’t think I’d want to go through this evening again,” said Gary.
“Me neither,” agreed Cleo. “But I was impressed with Robert.”
“Or he’s putting on a good act,” said Gary.
“Let’s assume that he is already looking at his options concerning Edith. From the way he and Edith were looking at one another, it would not surprise me if something came of that relationship.”
“Frederick Parsnip will have to fly to Africa before anything much can happen in that sector,” said Gary.”I can’t imagine Robert and the vicar sharing the woman.
“He shared me, Gary,” said Cleo.
“I’m not a ‘man of God’ and he was in denial.”
“Robert will go back to his flat any day now and Edith could then slip away quite easily when the children are in bed.”
“When the vicar has fled the nest, Edith can get the new curate to baby-sit if she wants to go visiting,” said Gary “What6 domestic bliss is stor for Mrs Parsnip.”
“I should be saying that,” said Cleo. “Robert’s a good cook.”.
***
The winding down from the evening did not last long.
Brass phoned.
“Did you enjoy the party?” he started.
“Yes thanks. What do you want, Brass? It’s midnight.We’re on the way to bed.”
“Oh, Sorry,” said Brass.
“We aren’t running round in our birthday suits, if that’s what you’re thinking,” said Cleo, who was listening in on a phone extension.
“You heard, Brass. How can I help you?”
“I’ve been promoted, Gary. I’m a sergeant now.”
“That’s great. I expect O’Reilly organized that, didn’t he?”
“Yes, and the station is staying open for at least a week with me in charge now Sergeant Llewellyn is preoccupied.”
“I’ll be over on Monday and interview Llewellyn on Tuesday, Brass. I don’t think he’ll be charged with murder, but his omnipotence is over. He’s in the centre of the sleaze going on in the Town Hall, either as an active participant, or as a go-between. We’ll have to decide that on the evidence we hope he will make available that we can check somehow. After that I’ll leave the rest to the local police. It’s time they did something about it.”
“If you mean town accounts, I might be able to help,” said Brass.
“I know that. The job here is still going for you, Brass, but you’ll be assisting my boss as the guy you were to replace has come back again.”
“I’d rather work for you, Gary.”
“Let’s discuss that another time, Brass. We’re too tired now.”
“Then I’ll say good night.”
“Good night,” Cleo and Gary chorused.
***
“I wonder what he thinks we’re going to do now,” said Cleo.
“He wouldn’t be far wrong, would he?” said Gary.
***
Cleo had only just undressed and slipped into her kimono when the phone rang again. This time it was Wetherby. Gary had taken the coffee cups into the kitchen so he answered the phone. Cleo got into bed and picked up the bedroom phone extension.
“We’re in bed,” said Gary. “Can you ring tomorrow?”
“It’s important, Mr Hurley. Can I speak to Cleo?”
“Is that really necessary? You can tell me.”
“OK. Remember that Grant guy who killed Ivy Frobisher?”
“Of course.”
“Someone has attacked Mrs Grant.”
“Did she survive?”
“No. And when I say someone, I mean something. She was mauled and then stabbed.”
“I’ll tell Cleo. Call us tomorrow morning at around 10.”
“OK. You will tell Cleo, won’t you?”
“Of course. Good night!”
***
Gary went into the bedroom and undressed.
“Were you listening in, Cleo? You don’t need a kimono now. I don’t think the Japanese sleep in them.
“I wasn’t planning to,” said Cleo. “I didn’t want to talk to Wetherby. I’m glad you put him off, even though he delivered such awful news.”
“Let’s not talk shop now, Cleo. I’m ready for a something more to my taste.”
“So am I, Gary,” Cleo replied. “I’m glad to see you took off your socks.”
“I never get cold feet these days, Cleo,” said Gary. “And I can’t wear socks unless you are wearing something.”
Cleo removed her kimono.
“I didn’t know we had a dress code.” She said.
“We do now and I think we’re abiding by it.”
“Shut up and come a bit closer,” said Cleo. ”MY feet are cold.”
"I hope you aren't going to boss me around when we're married."
"I'd rather things went on the way they have up to now, if you don’t mind."
"I can live with that," said Gary.


No comments:

Post a Comment